Skip to main content

Unpainted Minis: The Brick

Unpainted Minis: The Brick


There are very few things more frustrating in a game of Shadespire than drawing up a hand of Objectives that you can't score: a "brick".  Recently, friend of the site Tom Denyer asked about the chances of bricking your hand while playing Combination Strike and Opening Gambit.


Prior to the 6-surge restriction, a lot of our decks here were running what we called "Trinity" objective decks: Combination Strike, Victory after Victory, Superior Tactics and 8-9 surge objectives.   Bricking was very rarely a problem at these ratios.  However, now that you're down to 6 surges, it can crop up more often.  Just how often you ask?  Let's find out.

To start with, we'll be using hypergeometric distributions to determine card draw odds, along with some very light combinatorics.  Without going pretty deep into the latter, we won't be able to examine much after the first objective hand draw - but that's the one where bricking really hurts you the worst.


Before we go to far, let's define what we mean by bricking here: a hand where you draw Combo Strike, Opening Gambit, or both; and your other cards aren't surge Objectives.  In this case, you won't score anything during the action phase, and you won't score OG/CS in the end phase.  That's bad.

If you're running both CS and OG, you've still got a 55% chance that you won't draw either one, so you definitely won't Opening-Combo-Brick (OCB) on the first turn there.  Good.  Only 5% of games will see you start with both OG and CS in hand, with the remaining 40% being games where you have one or the other.  To reiterate: 55% of the time you can't OCB.  That's a pretty good start to our analysis.  The remaining calculations on this subject will all relate to this core percentage; what follows will largely be talking about the 45% of games where you draw one or both of CS and/or OG.



The good news is, on those hands where you can OCB, you're not terribly likely to.  In the 5% of games where you'll start with both CS and OG in hand, you've got a 60/40 chance that the other card in hand is a surge Objective, and you've got a chance to roll through and score some stuff.  If you've only drawn one of the two, you've got a 55% chance that you'll have 1 surge objective and a 27% chance that both of your other cards are surges.  So overall, we're looking at something like this:
  • 55% - No OCB possible
  • 22% - Draw OG or CS and 1 surge objective
  • 11% - Draw OG or CS and 2 surge objectives
  • 3% - Draw OG and CS and 1 surge objective
That means you've got a ninety-one percent chance of not getting OCB in the first draw.

 
As a bonus, of the 9% of games where you do OCB, the vast majority (7%) will be games where you OCB by only drawing CS or OG, but not both.  So you can safely use a do-over without losing too much of the surge-steam that powers your deck.  Even when you do brick, it's likely not as bad as it seems!




If you don't  draw either Combo Strike or Opening Gambit in your first hand, you've still got a shot of scoring them in the first round.  In 97% of those games you'll be holding at least 1 surge objective, giving you a chance to draw into one of your point multipliers.  Overall for the 55% of games that you don't draw CS or OG, you're chances of drawing into one look like this (assuming you can score all the surge objectives you have, which you should be able to do):
  • 6% - Have 1 surge, draw into CS or OG
  • 19% - Have 2 surge, draw into CS or OG
  • 1.5% - Have 2 surge, draw into CS and OG
  • 8.5% - Have 3 surge, draw into CS or OG
  • 0.1% - Have 3 surge, draw into CS and OG
So you've got a slightly more than 1/3 chance of picking up Combo Strike or Opening Gambit later on in the round.  The above percentages are actually a little bit low, since they don't account for drawing into more surge objectives, which then draw you into CS/OG, but that gets a bit long in both the probability department and the math-work-we-have-to-do department, so we're going to be satisfied with these.

Comments

  1. Your posts are my cup of tea. I'm interested in your articles. I always read them everyday and wait for incoming ones. It's because your posts are interesting.
    What do I say about your posts? I love them. I read them everyday and always wait for new ones. I am very happy because I have something interesting to read. Hope you can upload more and more.
    Chicken Jump the best games online!
    Pocket League 3D Free games online!
    4j games || abcya live || Friv4 for school || abcya 2020 games|| Friv10 games online|| Friv classic games online||abcya-3 games||friv 2021 games

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Special: Vassal

Decision: Should You Play Shadespire on Vassal? TL; DR: Yeah, it's pretty good - especially if you're in North America. Prologue Prior to picking up Shadespire, I played Legend of the Five Rings (the AEG version) for 20 years.  When FFG bought the game and rebooted it, I gave it a fair shake, and then decided to part ways with my oldest hobby.  A month before Gencon 2018, I decided to play Shadespire instead of L5R, and haven't put it down since. When I was playing L5R regularly, my playgroup traveled several times a year to play in large regional tournaments.  I had assumed this would be the case with Shadespire as well, but as most North American players can attest to - tournaments are pretty scarce in these parts.  (Whereas in England, you can't swing a soggy umbrella without hitting a Shadespire tournament). So, to keep up skill for the few tournaments I can attend ( SCO is next!), I started looking for ways to play online.  Luckily, a few wee

Cardiology: Double Feature! Branching Fate/One Fate

Decision: Should You Play Branching Fate/One Fate? TL;DR: Do you stride far? Then you should probably be playing Branching Fate.  Other warbands with high dice counts should consider playing Branching as well.  If you can manage to regularly roll 3 magic dice on spell attacks, One Fate is quite good.  Otherwise, pass on it. Prelude:Double Feature! This week we're taking a look at two different cards for Cardiology; rest assured this departure from standard operating procedure is for good reason.  Namely, the math required to analyze One Fate is very similar to the math required to analyze Branching Fate.  We couldn't see a reason to stretch the same work into two articles, so this week you're getting a two-for-one special. Factor: Warband In order to score either of the Fate objectives, you've got to be rolling three or more dice on attack or defense.  Rolling three dice on attack is pretty common (defense - less so), but some warbands definitely co

Cardiology: Hunting Aspect

Decision: Should You Play Hunting Aspect? TL;DR: It really sucks to say this, but probably not. Factor: The Numbers At first glance, this card is incredible.  Numerically, it's out of this world; no other card gives four characteristic points.  Essentially, Hunting Aspect combines Great Fortitude, Great Strides, and Enchanted Collar into a single card.  Let's take a closer look at what those stat points actually do for us. To start, Hunting Aspect hits us with +2 move.  Lighaen - the only legal target for Aspect - starts with 5 move, so Aspect will bump him to a truly impressive seven move.  This allows you to move Lighaen from almost anywhere on the board to almost anywhere else.  This point is probably better made with a visual representation.  Let's say your beginning setup looks something like this - with your hunters represented by the blue circles and Lighaen positioned in the back.  This kind of setup would allow us to play very aggressively wi